Dr. Syed Basit Ali Bukhari
Department of Electrical Power Engineering
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
Power System Protection, Islanding Detection, Microgrids, Low Voltage DC Distribution system
Ph.D. in Electronic and Electrical engineering with specialization in Power System from Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea in 2019; M.Sc. in Electrical (Power) Engineering from University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila in 2014; B.Sc. in Electrica
Dr. Syed Basit Ali Bukhari has completed his Ph.D. from Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea in 2019. He went for his Ph.D. studies on a scholarship awarded by the Higher Education Commission (HEC), Islamabad, Pakistan. Dr. Basit’s Ph.D. thesis was about the intelligent islanding detection and fault protection of microgrids and smart distribution networks. During Ph.D., he has developed several protection methods for microgrid and low voltage DC distribution networks; he also worked on islanding detection and demand-side management. Recently, Dr. Basit has received the best paper award for his research work at a microgrid conference held at Changwon, South Korea in 2019. During Ph.D., Dr. Basit has registered three patents in Korea and published several articles in leading journals and conferences
Dr. Basit has interests in following research areas of power systems:
• Power System Protection
• AC/DC Microgrids
• Application of Machine Learning in Power System Protection
• Islanding Detection in Microgrids and Smart Distribution Networks
• Low Voltage DC Distribution System
Patents1. Apparatus for Protecting Microgrids using Superimposed Reactive Energy 2. Fuzzy-based microgrid protection method and apparatusSCI/SCI-E Journals1. S. Admasie, S. B. A. Bukhari, R. Haider, T. Gush, and C. H. Kim. "A passive islanding detection scheme using variational mode decomposition-based mode singular entropy for integrated microgrids." Electric Power Systems Research 177 (2019): 105983.2. S. B. A. Bukhari, R. Haider, M. S. U. Zaman, Y.-S. Oh, G.-J. Cho, and C.-H. Kim, “An interval type-2 fuzzy logic based strategy for microgrid protection,” Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., vol. 98, pp. 209– 218, 2018. (IF: 3.610)3. S. B. A. Bukhari, C. -H. Kim, K. K. Mehmood, Raza Haider, and M. S. Zaman, “A Convolutional Neural Network-Based Intelligent Protection Strategy for Microgrids,” IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, provisionally accepted. (IF: 2.618)4. M. S. U. Zaman, S. B. A. Bukhari, K. Hazazi, Z. Haider, R. Haider, and C.-H. Kim, “Frequency response analysis of a single-area power system with a modified LFC model considering demand response and virtual inertia,” Energies, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 787, 2018. (IF: 2.676)5. S. Jamali, S. B. A. Bukhari, M. O. Khan, C. H. Kim, et al., “Protection scheme of a last mile active LVDC distribution network with reclosing option,” Energies, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 1093, 2018. (IF: 2.676)6. T. Gush, S. B. A. Bukhari, R Haider, C. H. Kim et al., “Fault detection and location in a microgrid using mathematical morphology and recursive least square methods,” Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., vol. 102, pp. 324–331, 2018. (IF: 3.610)7. S. B. A. Bukhari, M. S. U. Zaman, R. Haider, Y.-S. Oh, and C.-H. Kim, “A protection scheme for microgrid with multiple distributed generations using superimposed reactive energy,” Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., vol. 92, pp. 156–166, 2017. (IF: 3.610)8. S. Z. Jamali, S. B. A. Bukhari, M. O. Khan, K. K. Mehmood, M. Mehdi, and C. H. Kim, “A High-Speed Fault Detection, Identification and Isolation Method for a Last Mile Radial LVDC Distribution Network,” Energies, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 2901, 2018. (IF: 2.676)9. Y. S. Oh, C. H. Kim, G. H. Gwon, C. Noh, S. B. A. Bukhari et al., “Fault detection scheme based on mathematical morphology in last mile radial low voltage DC distribution networks,” Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., vol. 106, pp. 520–527, 2019. (IF: 3.610)10. S. B. A. Bukhari, A. Ahmad, S. A. Raza, and M. N. Siddique, “A ring crossover genetic algorithm for the unit commitment problem,” Turk. J. of Electr. Eng. and Comp. Scince., vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 3862–3876, 2016. (IF: 0.58)11. S. U. Khan, K. K. Mehmood, Z. M. Haider, S.B.A. Bukhari, M. K. Rafique, and C. H. Kim, “Energy Management Scheme for an EV Smart Charger V2G/G2V Application with an EV Power Allocation Technique and Voltage Regulation,” Applied Sciences, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 648, 2018. (IF: 1.689)12. R. Haider, C. H. Kim, T. Ghanbari, and S. B. A. Bukhari, “Harmonic-signature-based islanding detection in grid-connected distributed generation systems using Kalman filter,” IET Renew. Power Gener., vol. 12, no. 15, pp. 1813–1822, 2018. (IF: 3.488)13. R. Haider, C. H. Kim, T. Ghanbari, and S. B. A. Bukhari, et al., “Passive islanding detection scheme based on autocorrelation function of modal current envelope for photovoltaic units,” IET Genereration Transmission and Distribution, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 726–736, 2017. (IF: 2.618)14. M. N. Siddique, A. Ahmad, M. K. Nawaz, and S. B. A. Bukhari, “Optimal integration of hybrid (windsolar) system with diesel power plant using HOMER,” Turk. J. Electr. Eng. Comput. Sci., vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1547–1557, 2015. (IF: 0.58)15. M. K. Rafique, S. U. Khan, M. S. U. Zaman, K. K Mehmood, S. B. A. Bukhari et al., “An Intelligent Hybrid Energy Management System for a Smart House Considering Bidirectional Power Flow and Various EV Charging Techniques,” Appl. Sci., vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 1-24, 2019. (IF:1.689)16. S.B.A Bukhari, A Ahmad, A Raza and A M Zaki, “A review on application of genetic algorithm
in solving Unit commitment problem”, The Nucleus, vol. 51, no. 3, pp.335-343, 2014
1. S. B. A. Bukhari, R. Haider, M. S. Zaman, Y. S. Oh, et al. "Adaptive centralized protection scheme for microgrids based on positive sequence complex power." International Conference on Power System Transients, Seoul, Republic of Korea, 2017.
2. R. Haider, S. B. A. Bukhari, M. S. U. Zaman, T. Guesh, and C. H. Kim, “An Efficient Fault Current Limiting Scheme for Synchronous Generator based Islanded Microgrids,” KIEE Autumn Conference, Gwangju, Korea, 2018.
3. S. B. A. Bukhari, K. K. Mehmood, R. Haider, M. S. U. Zaman, and C. H. Kim, “Microgrid Differential Protection based on Current Alpha Plane,” KIEE Autumn Conference, Gwangju, Korea, pp. 55–57, 2018.
4. S. Z. Jamali, S. B. A. Bukhari, M. O. Khan, G. H Gwon, and C. H. Kim, “Development of Protective Method based on Superposition Principle along with Fault Current Limiter in Low Voltage DC Distribution System,” International Conference on Power Systems Transients, Seoul, Korea, 2017.
5. S. B. A Bukhari, M S Zaman, R Haider, YS Oh, and C. H Kim, “A Centralized Protection Scheme for Microgrids using Positive Sequence Component,” KIEE Spring Conference, Jeju, Korea, 2017.
6. M. S. U. Zaman, R. Haider, S. B. A. Bukhari, and C.-H. Kim, “Frequency Profile Improvement of a Microgrid through Aggregated Demand Response,” presented at the TENCON 2018-2018 IEEE Region 10 Conference, pp. 1584–1588, 2018.
7. Y. S. Oh, G. J Cho, M. S. Kim, J. S. Kim, S. B. A. Bukhari, C. H. Kim, “Zonal Operation Scheme of Distributed Generations for Voltage Regulation in Distribution Networks,” International Conference on Power Systems Transients, Seoul, Korea, 2017.
8. R. Haider, M. S. Zaman, S. B. A. Bukhari, YS Oh, GJ Cho, MS Kim, C. H Kim, “Modeling and Analysis of Resistive Type Superconducting Fault Current Limiters for Coordinated Microgrid Protection,” International Conference on Power Systems Transients, Seoul, Korea, 2017.
9. K. K. Mehmood, S. B. A. Bukhari, S. U. Khan, Z. M. Haider, and C.H. Kim, “A Novel Strategy for the Optimal Planning of Distributed Generators in Unbalance Distribution Networks,” KIEE Autumn Conference, Gwangju, Korea, pp. 55–57, 2018.
Lecturer | COMSATS University Abbottabad Campus| September, 2014-August 2015
• Taught basic and specialized courses at the undergraduate level.
• Revised lab tasks and manuals for all the taught courses.
• Supervised undergraduate students in their final year projects
Dr. Basit has worked in a 4-MW Hydro-Electric Power Plant for one year from April-2013 to March-2014. During Ph.D., Dr. Basit has worked on numerous research projects and was able to obtain good results from them.