Dr Ali Hassan received PhD degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Southampton, UK, in 2012. He did B.E. and M.S. in Computer Engineering from NUST College of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (CEME), Pakistan, in 2004 and
2007, respectively. He is currently working at NUST CEME as an Assistant Professor at
Department of Computer Engineering. His research interests include
application of machine learning to speech and image processing in the domains
of speech, texture classification and biomedical engineering. He has
established research linkages with several international partners and is also
one of the heads of Centre for Machine learning and Biomedical Engineering.
Dr Ali Hassan is actively involved in the area of Biomedical research in collaboration with several national and international centres. Some of his active areas of research are as follows:
- Use of EEG for rehabilitation of stroke patients in collaboration with
Detection of chronic pain development Using Fluoroscopy images in collaboration with
- New Zealand Centre for Chiropractic Research, New Zealand
- Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
- University of Aalborg, Denmark
CAD system for lesion and ulcer detection in Gastroenterology in collaboration with
- School of Health Sciences, University of Aalborg, Denmark
Detecting Melanoma in Dermoscopy Images in collaboration with
- Local Hospital in Pakistan
- Centre for Advance Research and Engineering, Pakistan
- Vision Group, University of Porto, Portugal.
LIST OF PUBLISHED JOURNALS
- F. Riaz, A. Hassan,
S. Rehman, I. K. Niazi and K. Dremstrup, "EMD-Based Temporal and Spectral
Features for the Classification of EEG Signals Using Supervised Learning,"
in IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, vol. 24,
no. 1, pp. 28-35, Jan. 2016. (IF 3.18)
- A. Hassan, U.
Ghani, F. Riaz, S. Rehman, M. Jochumsen, D. Taylor and I.K. Niazi, “Using
ONLINE Single Trial MRCP Detection and Classification System on a Portable
Device” in Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning – IDEAL 2015,
Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 9375, pp. 527-534, 2015.
- S Naeem, F Riaz, A Hassan,
R Nisar, “Description of Visual Content in Dermoscopy Images Using Joint
Histogram of Multiresolution Local Binary Patterns and Local Contrast”, IDEAL
2015, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 9375, pp 433-440, 2015.
- A. Hassan,
R. Nisar, M. Dinis-Ribeiro, M. Coimbra, "Content-Adaptive Region-Based
Color Texture Descriptors for Medical Images," in IEEE Journal of
Biomedical and Health Informatics, , vol.PP, no.99, pp.1-1, 2015. (IF 2.09)
- Kamran Babar, Rehan Hafiz, Khawar Khurshid, Awais M. Kamboh, Ali Hassan, Farhan Riaz, Byeungwoo
Jeon, “A scalable architecture for geometric correction of multi-projector
display systems”, Elsevier Displays, vol. 40, pp. 104-112, 2015. (IF 1.90)
- kram, M Javed, U Akram, U Qamar, A
Hassan, "Pulmonary Nodules Detection and Classification Using Hybrid
Features from Computerized Tomographic Images" in Journal of Medical
Imaging and Health Informatics 2015. Vol. 6, No. 1, 1-8, [JCR 2014 I.F.
- Ali Hassan, Hassan
Akhtar, Muhammad Junaid Khan, Farhan Riaz, Faiza Hassan, Imran Niazi, Mads
Jochumsen, Kim Dremstrup (2014), “Use of Empirical Mode Decomposition for
Classification of MRCP Based Task Parameters” Intelligent Data Engineering and
Automated Learning – IDEAL 2014 Lecture Notes in Computer Science Vol 8669,
2014, pp 77-84
- Sheraz Akram, Muhammad Younus Javed, Usman Qamar, Aasia Khanum
and Ali Hassan (2014), “Artificial
Neural Network based Classification of Lungs Nodule using Hybrid Features from
Computerized Tomographic Images” Applied Mathematics & Information Sciences
2014. (I.F. 0.73)
- Hassan, A.; Riaz,
F.; Shaukat, A. (2014), "Scale and Rotation Invariant Texture
Classification Using Covariate Shift Methodology," Signal Processing
Letters, IEEE , vol.21, no.3, pp.321,324, 2014. (I.F. 1.67)
A., Riaz, F., Rehman, S. (2014), “Rotation and Scale Invariant
Texture Classification by Compensating for Distribution Changes using Covariate
Shift in Uniform Local Binary Patterns” IET Electronics Letters, vol. 50, no.
1, pp. 27.29, 2014. (I.F. 1.16)
- Riaz, F., Hassan, A.,
Rehman, S., Qamar, U. (2013), "Texture Classification Using Rotation- and
Scale-Invariant Gabor Texture Features," IEEE Signal Processing Letters,
vol.20, no.6, pp.607—610, 2013. (I.F.
- Hassan, A., Damper, R., and
Niranjan, M. (2013). On acoustic emotion recognition: Compensating for
covariate shift. IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing,
vol.21, no.7, pp.1458,1468, July 2013. (I.F.
- Hassan, A. and Damper, R. (2012).
Classification of emotional speech using 3DEC hierarchical classifier. Speech
Communication, 54(7), 903–916. (I.F.
- Khan, L.
A., Baig, M. S., and Hassan, A.
(2011). Crypt analysis of two time pads in case of compressed speech. Computers
and Electrical Engineering, 37(4), 559–569. (I.F. 0.928)
- Hassan, A. and Baig, M. S. (2007).
Spread Spectrum based Blind Watermarking scheme for Multimedia Applications
using Parallel DWT. Transactions on Computers, WSEAS 6(4), 642-649.
LIST OF TECHNICAL REPORTS
Hassan, A., Damper, R.,
and Niranjan, M. (2012b). On acoustic emotion recognition: compensating for
covariate shift – supplementary results. Technical report, Faculty of Physics
and Applied Sciences, University of Southampton.
LIST OF CONFERENCES
- Ali Hassan, Muhammad Nauman, Farhan Riaz, Saad Rehman, Rasmus Wiberg Nedergard, Kelly Holt, Heidi Haavik, Imran Khan Niazi, “Automatic Tracking of Cervical Spine Using Fluoroscopic Sequences” in Intelligent Systems Conference (IntelliSys2017), London, UK, 7-8 September, 2017.
- Q.A. Khan and A. Hassan, “Detection and Classification of Pilots Cognitive State using EEG”, in the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Applications (ICCIA 2017), Beijing, China, September 8-11, 2017.
- S. Tehsin, S. Rehman, F. Riaz, O. Saeed, A. Hassan, M. Khan and M. Alam, “Fully invariant wavelet enhanced minimum average correlation energy filter for object recognition in cluttered and occluded environments” in International Society for Optics and Photonics, SPIE Defense+ Security, May 2017
- S. Usman, A. Hassan, F. Riaz and Q. Chaudry, "Efficient Prediction and Classification of Epileptic Seizures using EEG data based on Univariate Linear Features" in Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Computer and Electrical Engineering (ICCEE 2016), Barcelona, Spain, December 7-11, 2016.
- F. Abid, A. Hassan, A. Abid, M. Jochumsen, M. Navid, R. Nedergaard and I. Niazi, "Transfer Learning for Electroencephalogram (EEG) Signals" in Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Computer and Electrical Engineering (ICCEE 2016), Barcelona, Spain, December 7-11, 2016.
- U. Khan, M. Akram, A. Hassan, A. Shaukat, M. Basit, A. Wahid, "Detection of Acoustic Events by using MFCC and Spectro-Temporal Gabor Filterbank Features", Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Signal Processing Systems (ICSPS'16) pp. 158-164, Auckland, New Zealand, November 21 - 24, 2016.
- D. Sabir, S. Rehman and A. Hassan, "Fully invariant quaternion based filter for target recognition," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Signal and Image Processing Applications (ICSIPA), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 509-513, Oct 2015.
- M. Hussain, H. Rehman, O. Nazir, A. Kashif, A. Hassan, M. Dildar "Separate Modal Analysis using Scale Invariant Feature Transform (SIFT) with Digital Image Elasto-Tomography (DIET) for breast cancer screening test," in International Conference on Informative and Cybernetics for Computational Social Systems (ICCSS), 2015, vol., no., pp.126-129, 13-15 Aug. 2015.
- A Hassan, U. Ghani, F. Riaz, S. Rehman, and I. Niazi, "Using ONLINE Single Trial MRCP Detection and Classification System on a Portable Device", 15th IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning (IDEAL 2015), Poland, October 2015.
- S Naeem, F Riaz, A Hassan, R Nisar, “Description of Visual Content in Dermoscopy Images Using Joint Histogram of Multiresolution Local Binary Patterns and Local Contrast”, 15th IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning (IDEAL 2015), Poland, October 2015.
- A. Hassan, F. Riaz, and A. Basit “A robust classification model with Voting based feature selection for Diagnosis of Epilepsy” The 28th annual IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE’2015), Canada, May 2015.
- A. Hassan, F. Riaz, and A. Basit “A robust classification model based on iBSA and GCA Biomarkers for Diagnosis of Epilepsy” The 28th annual IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE’2015), Canada, May 2015.
- A. Hassan, F. Riaz, S. Rehman, M. Jochumsen, I. Niazi, and K. Dremstrup, “An Empirical Study to Remove Noise from Single-Trial MRCP for Movement Intention Detection” The 28th annual IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE’2015), Canada, May 2015.
- R. Khalid, S. Rehman, F. Riaz and A. Hassan, "Enhanced dynamic quadrant histogram equalization plateau limit for image contrast enhancement," Fifth International Conference on Digital Information and Communication Technology and its Applications (DICTAP), 2015, Beirut Lebanon, pp. 86-91, May 2015.
- S. Rehman, F. Riaz, A. Hassan, M. Liaquat and R. Young, “Human detection in sensitive security areas through recognition of omega shapes using MACH filters” in SPIE Optical Pattern Recognition. Baltimore, MD, April, 2015.
- F. Riaz, A. Hassan, J. Zeb, "Distance Regularized Curve Evolution: A Formulation Using Creasness Features for Dermoscopic Image Segmentation", 12th IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Hang Zhou, China, Oct 2014.
- A. Hassan, H. Akhtar, M. Junaid, F. Riaz, F. Hassan, I. Niazi, M. Jochumsen and K. Dremstrup, "Use of Empirical Mode Decomposition for Classification of MRCP based Task Parameters", in Proc. IEEE IDEAL 2014, Salamanca, Spain, Sep 2014.
- Shagufta, S. Khan, A. Hassan, and S. Rashid. "Blood Vessel Segmentation and Centerline Extraction based on Multilayered Thresholding in CT Images." The 2nd International Conference on Intelligent Systems and Image Processing 2014 (ICISIP2014). Japan, Sep, 2014.
- F. Riaz, A. Hassan, S. Rehman, I. Niazi, M. Jochumsen and K. Dremstrup, "Processing Movement Related Cortical Potentials in EEG Signals for Identification of Slow and Fast Movements", in Proc. IEEE EMBC 2014, Chicago, USA, Aug 2014.
- M. Ahsan, A. Shaukat, A. Hassan, F. Riaz, "Daily Sound Recognition for Elderly People using Ensemble Methods", 11th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD), Xiamen, China, Aug 2014.
- F. Riaz, A. Hassan, M. Y. Javed and M. Coimbra, "Detecting Melanoma in Dermoscopy Images Using Scale Adaptive Local Binary Patterns", in Proc. IEEE EMBC 2014, Chicago, USA, Aug 2014.
- A. Hassan, I. Niazi, M. Jochumsen, F. Riaz, K. Dremstrup, "Classification of Kinetics of Movements for Lower Limb Using Covariate Shift Method for Brain Computer Interface", accepted in 39th International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Florence, Italy, May 2014.
- Alvi, A. and Khan, S. and Hassan, A. (2014) “Network on Hybrid Processors based High End Embedded System” The Second International Conference on Technological Advances in Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering (TAEECE2014), pages 65-71, March 2014 – Malaysia.
- Hassan, A. and Shaukat, A. (2013) “Covariate Shift Approach For Invariant Texture Classification”. IEEE International Workshop on Machine Learning For Signal Processing (MLSP), pages 1-6, September 22-25, 2013 Southampton, UK.
- Hassan, A. and Damper, R. I. (2010). Multi-class and hierarchical svm’s for emotion recognition. In Proceedings of 11th Annual of the International Speech Communication Association, Inter- speech’10, pages 2354–2357, Makuhari, Japan.
- Hassan, A. and Damper, R. I. (2009). Emotion recognition from speech using extended feature selection and a simple classifier. In Proceedings of 10th Annual of the International Speech Communication Association, Interspeech’09, pages 2403–2406, Brighton, UK.
- Ashraf, M., Baig, M. S., Khan, L. A., and Hassan, A. (2007). Parallel implementation of 2d-dwt by purging read after write dependency for high speed applications. In International Conference on Emerging Technologies, 2007. ICET’07., pages 263–268, Rawalpindi, Pakistan.
- Hassan, A. and Baig, M. S. (2006). Spread Spectrum based Blind Watermarking scheme for Multimedia Applications using Parallel DWT. The 6th WSEAS International Conference on Applied Computer Science, Tenerife, Spain, pages 473-477.
||07 Sep 2012
||NUST College of EME|
||University of Southampon, UK|
|MS Level Courses
||Parallel Processing Computer Systems|
||Pattern Recognition and Analysis|
|UG Level Courses
||Logic and Sequential Circuit Design|
||Computer System Architecture|
||Introduction to Programming|
serving as Assistant Professor at
NUST, College of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering since September 2012.
- 8 August 2016 - 30 September 2016: Worked
as Senior Researcher Officer at School of Clinical Sciences, Auckland
University of Technology, New Zealand.
Working as a Visiting Researcher at the New Zealand Centre for Chiropractic
Research since Aug 2014.