Dr. Kamran Akhtar
Transportation and Geotechnical Engineering Department
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
NUST College of Civil Engineering, Risalpur, Pakistan.
PhD. (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA)
Dr. Kamran Akhtar is currently the Head of Department/ Assoc. Prof. at Department of Geotechnical Engineering at Military College of Engineering, NUST. He holds MS Civil Engineering and a Ph.D. Degree (with Geotechnical Engg as specialisation) from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA. He completed his BE (Civil Engg) degree from MCE Risalpur in 1994 with honours. Dr. Kamran has more than 25 years of work & education experience in the field of Civil Engineering, especially in Geotechnical engineering. Dr. Kamran has over 20 international/national research publications to his credit. He took Effective Classroom Practices in Teaching University Engineering Students at George Mason University, USA in 2014.
AWARDS & SCHOLARSHIPS
2015: Institute (NICE)’s Best Teacher
award by NUST
2011: Ralph b. Peck outstanding Research award in Geotechnical Engineering - University of Illinois, USA.
2006: Ministry of Defence Pakistan merit scholarship for MS and PhD studies abroad.
1994: Honours in B.E. Civil Engineering.
- Professional Engineer (PE), Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC).
- Member, Institute of Engineers Pakistan MIE (Pak).
- Membership American Association of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Two and Three Dimensional Slope Stability Analysis
- Three Dimensional Digital Elevation Models
- Software Development for Geotechnical Engineering
- Soil Investigation
- Soil and Site Improvement
HEC APPROVED Ph.D. SUPERVISOR
HEC Approved Ph.D. supervisor
- Akhtar, K., Gabriel, H.F., Khan, S., and Sadiq.A.(2011) “Workshop Workbook for International Training Workshop for Stakeholders Capacity Building in Flood Warning and Management ”, ISBN: 978-969-8535-09-4, December 2011.
- Gabriel, H.F. and Akhtar, K.(2014) “Training Manual for Community Based Flood Management (English) ”, ISBN: 978-969-8535-26-1, 2014.
- Gabriel, H.F. and Akhtar, K.(2014) “Training Manual for Community Based Flood Management (Urdu) ”, ISBN: 978-969-8535-24-7, 2014.
- Gabriel, H.F. and Akhtar, K.(2014) “Training Manual for Community Based Flood Management (Sindhi) ”, ISBN: 978-969-8535-09-4, 2014.
- Gabriel, H.F. and Akhtar, K.(2014) “Training Manual for Community Based Flood Management (Pushto) ”, ISBN: 978-969-8535-30-8, 2015
- Gabriel, H.F. and Akhtar, K.(2014) “Training Manual for Community Based Flood Management (Balochi) ”, ISBN: 978-969-8535-31-5, 2015, 2015
- Muhammad Israr Khan, S. Muhammad Jamil, Liaqat Ali, Kamran Akhtar, Muhammad Salik Javaid. (2014) “Feasibility Study of Kalabagh Dam Pakistan”. Life Sci J 2014;11(9s):458-470. (ISSN:1097-8135). http://www.lifesciencesite.com. 93
- Jamal Ali, Khyzer Ahmad, Kamran Akhtar, Abdul Qudoos and Manzoor Hussain (2015) “ Stability Analysis of slope using Numerical simulation Based on Finite Element Method and Limiting Equilibrium Approach”, Asian Acedemic Research Journal of Multidisciplinary, Vol 2, Issue 3 (371-379), ISSN: 2319-280, www.asianacedemicresearch.org
- Stark, T.D., Akhtar, K., and Hussain, M. (2010)"Stability Analysis for a Landfill Experiencing Elevated Temperatures," Proceedings of Specialty Conference GeoFlorida 2010: Advances in Analysis, Modeling and Design, ASCE, Orlando, FL, March, 2010, 10 p.
- Hussain, M., Stark, T.D., and Akhtar, K. (2010)."Back-Analysis Procedure for Landslides," Proceedings of International Conference on Geotechnical Engineering, Pakistan. Geotechnical Engineering Society (PGES), Lahore, Pakistan, November, 2010, 159-166 p.
- Niazi, F.S., and Akhtar, K.(2011) "Application of a Case History Based Investigation for the Stability Study of a Recent Landslide Dam," 14th Pan-American Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering and the 64th Canadian Geotechnical Conference, Toronto, Canada from October, 2011.
- Gauhar Sabih, S. Muhammad Jamil and Kamran Akhtar (2012) “Effects of Gradation of Various Sand Deposits of Pakistan on Strength of Hardened Concrete”, Second International Conference on Geotechnique, Construction Materials and Environment, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Nov. 14-16, 2012, ISBN: 978-4-9905958-1-4 C3051
- Kamran Akhtar, Abdul Jabbar Khan, Qasim Khan & Muhammad Asim, (2014) “Soil Bearing Capacity Modelling - A Case Study on Islamabad and Rawalpindi”, Second International Conference on Modern Trends in Science, Engineering and Technology 2014 (ICMTSET 2014), Dubai, UAESep. 10-11, 2014
- Stark, T.D. and Akhtar, K. (2014) “Effect of Side Resistance In 3D Stability Analysis”, 12th International Symposium on Geo-disaster Reduction (ICDdR 2014), Fullerton, CA,, USA, Sep. 5-6, 2014
- Kamran Akhtar and Adeel Tahir (2014), “Disaster Mitigation Using 3D Geotechnical Model” National Conference on Disaster Management, MCE, Risalpur, Nov 13, 2014
- Hamza Farooq Gabriel, Kamran Akhtar, Owais Moinuddin & HinaSamuel (2014) “Performance Evaluation of a Combined System of Constructed Wetlands and FILTER Technique for Wastewater Treatment –A Case Study”, International Conference on Ecohydrology (ICE 2014), “Ecohydrology Approaches Facing the Global Water Environment Challenges”, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 10-12 November 2014.
- Muhammad Umer Zubair, Kamran Akhtar, and Muhammad Arsalan Khan (2014), ”Stabilizing a Failed Slope in Islamabad”, National Conference on Disaster Management, MCE, Risalpur, Dec 11, 2014.
Akhtar, Kamran. (2011). “Three Dimensional Slope Stability Analysis for Natural and Manmade slopes”. http://hdl.handle.net/2142/24459
COURSES TAUGHT TO POST- GRADUATE PROGRAMMES:
- CE 823 Slope Stability
- CE 837 Design and Construction of Earthen Dams
COURSES TAUGHT TO UNDER-GRADUATE PROGRAMMES:
- CE 222 Soil Mechanics-I
- CE 324 Soil Mechanics-II
- CE 426 Slope Stability
- CE 428 Design and Construction of Earthen Dams
- Jan 1993 to Jan 2001 - Field Engr, Project Manager/Coordinator/ Staff Officer in Pak Army Corps of Engineers.
- Jan 2001 to Nov 2001 – Lecturer/Faculty member/Instructor Class – C at Military College of Engineering (MCE), National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST), Risalpur Campus.
- Nov 2001 to Aug 2006 –Field Engr, Project Manager/Coordinator/ Staff Officer in Pak Army Corps of Engineers.
- Aug 2006 to Apr 2011 – MSc leading to PhD at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
- Apr 2011 to Aug 2012, Asst. Prof/Instructor Class – B, at NUST Institute of Civil Engineering (NICE), National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST), H-12 Campus, Islamabad
- Aug 2012 to Sep 2015, Associate Prof/ Head of Department (Geotechnical Engg) /Instructor Class – A, at NUST Institute of Civil Engineering (NICE), National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST), H-12 Campus, Islamabad