The “Molecular Immunology” group focuses on two major aspects namely viral immunology and cancer immunology as well as intersections of both, all culminating in translational research. The group investigates the host-virus interactions and immunological responses against human viruses such as HIV, HCV and HBV both in vitro and in vivo (clinical samples). Based on these interactions, therapeutic strategies are also being under investigation and few are currently being tested. Recently, the group has started working on research and Diagnostic of emerging zoonotic infections such as CCHFV in Pakistan under the umbrella of One-Health. In cancer immunology, the group is investigating the immune correlates as well as new Nano particle based combinatorial therapies for Glioblastoma Multiform (GBM). These therapies are currently being tested in cell lines and Orthotropic Xenograft mouse model.
INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH COLLABORATIONS
1. Division of Infectious Diseases, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA, USA.
2. Department of Emerging infectious diseases, DUKENUS Medical school, Singapore
3. Proteomics and Mass Spectrometry Laboratory, Department of Clinical Chemistry, University Medicine Göttingen, Georg-August University, Göttingen, Germany
4. Department of Biochemistry, Institute of Integrative Biology, University of Liverpool, UK
NATIONAL RESEARCH COLLABORATIONS
1. National Institute of Health (NIH), Islamabad, Pakistan
2. Pakistan Agricultural Research Council (PARC)
3. National AIDS control Program (NACP), Islamabad, Pakistan
4. Institute for Biomedical and Genetic engineering (IBGE, KRL).
5. Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Center
6. International Islamic university, Islamabad.
7. Khyber Medical University
8. University of Karachi
Research Supervision of Student Projects:
Supervised/Co-Supervised Under Supervision/Co-Supervision
PhD/MS 2 4
MS 10 01
Research Grants: (PI & Co-PI):
1. Molecular Characterization of miRNAs involved in anti HIV activity for its therapeutic implication in vaccine development.
2. Analysing the natural anti-HIV mechanisms for their therapeutic implications in vaccine development.
3. Deficiency of Artemis protein leading to increased mutation load of TK6 and p53 activation. (completed)
4. Molecular Surveillance and Risk Factor Evaluation of Crimean Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) virus in Pakistan”. (Completed)
5. The DNA induced Protection against Chicken Coccidiosis in Pakistan". (Completed)
1. Elucidation of the Effects of Amphetamine and Natural psycho-stimulant Compounds in Alzheimer’s Disease. (Completed)
2. Development of new multi-target Inhibitor against Hepatitis Infection based on Barbituric Acid Derivatives. (Completed)
Honours/Awards and scholarships:
1. Sir J. William Fulbright research scholar Fellowship. United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (June 2017)
2. 2. One-Health Fellowship Award by U.S. National Academy of Sciences (March 2016)
3. International Student One Health Alliance (ISOHA) Continent Representatives for Asia (2019-2020)
4. Best Researcher of the year 2015-2016
5. Research Productivity Award 2017 by Pakistan council of science and Technology.
6. Recipient of “Scholarship award for Doctoral studies in Germany from Higher education commission of Pakistan (HEC) (2008-2012).
7. Roll of Honour in B.Sc from “University of the Punjab” , Pakistan