Dr. Attya Bhatti earned her doctoral degree from Quaid-e-Azam University in Human Molecular Genetics under the supervision of Dr. Wasim Ahmad in 2007. She joined NUST in 2008 as Assistant Professor and served as Head of Department Healthcare Biotechnology ASAB from 2013 to 2018. She is the incharge of Immunogenetics lab in ASAB, NUST. Currently, the research group working under her supervision focuses on Type 2 Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Nanobiotechnology. She is also serving as the editor of NUST Journal of Natural Sciences.
Dr Attya Bhatti heads a lab with Dr Peter John. Her specialisation lies in the field of Molecular Genetics and Functional Genomics. Main goal of the lab is to understand the basic cellular processes, genetic control of inherited diseases and novel therapy approach. We mainly focus on the regulation of gene expression, how the disease progressed and which molecular entities can be effectively targeted for the therapy. Efforts are being made to maintain the high quality and impact in scientific knowledge, education and public health. The lab has particular strength in following areas:
Molecular Genetics of Autoimmune Diseases: The team lead has strong expertise in the area of immune disorders such as Rheumatoid Arthritis and Type I and Type II Diabetes Mellitus. Currently the research projects carried out in our lab are designed to study various biological aspects of disease pathogenesis and potential therapeutic interventions like
• Identification of novel gene susceptibility loci and their role in disease pathogenesis in Rheumatoid Arthritis, Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
• Investigation of shared molecular mechanisms underlying Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Alzheimer’s disease.
• Role of Advanced Glycation End Products in complications of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
• Identification of novel biomarkers for the early diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis.
• Investigation of indigenous plant extracts based therapies in collagen induced mice models for Rheumatoid Arthritis.
• Development of biogenic nanoparticles based therapeutic interventions for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Arif A, Bhatti A, John P; Therapeutic Potential Of Foeniculum vulgare Mill. Derived Selenium Nanoparticles In Arthritic Balb/c Mice. (Int J Nanomedicine 2019 Volume 2019:14 Pages 8561—8572 (IF: 4.471)
- Rehman Z, Fahim A, Bhatti A, Sadia H, John P. (February 2019). Co-expression of HIF-1α, MDR1 and LAPTM4B in peripheral blood of solid tumors. PeerJ 7: e6309 DOI 10.7717/PEERJ.6309
- Majeed W, Zafar M, Bhatti A, John P (2018) Therapeutic Potential of Selenium Nanoparticles. J Nanomed Nanotechnol 9: 487. doi: 10.4172/2157-7439.1000487
- Noreen, Z., DeJesus, J., Bhatti, A., Loffredo, C., John, P., Khan, J., ... & Ghosh, S. (July 2018). Epidemiological Investigation of Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer’s Disease in a Pakistani Population. International journal of environmental research and public health, 15(8), 1582. (IF: 2.145)
- Arshad, M., Bhatti, A., John, P., Jalil, F., Borghese, F., Kawalkowska, J. Z., ... & Clanchy, F. I. (April 2018). T cell activation Rho GTPase activating protein (TAGAP) is upregulated in clinical and experimental arthritis. Cytokine, 104, 130-135. (IF: 3.514)
- Qadir, M. M. F., Bhatti, A., Ashraf, M. U., Sandhu, M. A., Anjum, S., & John, P. (2018). Immunomodulatory and therapeutic role of Cinnamomum verum extracts in collagen-induced arthritic BALB/c mice. Inflammopharmacology, 26(1), 157-170. (IF: 3.304)
- Arshad, M., Bhatti, A., & John, P. (January 2018). Identification and in silico analysis of functional SNPs of human TAGAP protein: A comprehensive study. PloS one, 13(1), e0188143.
- Bhatti, A., Syed, N. A., & John, P. The Mantle of Advanced Glycation End Products in Micro-and Macrovascular Complications of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Curre Res Diabetes & Obes J, Volume 2 Issue 5 - June 2017 (IF: 0.836)
- Arshad, M., Bhatti, A., John, P., Jalil, F., & Williams, R. O. (December 2017). Association of rs182429 variant in TAGAP with rheumatoid arthritis in Pakistani population. Meta Gene, 14, 59-63.
- Jalil, F., Arshad, M., Bhatti, A., Jamal, M., Ahmed, M., Malik, J. M., ... & John, P. (July 2017). Progression pattern of rheumatoid arthritis: A study of 500 Pakistani patients. Pakistan journal of pharmaceutical sciences, 30(4), 1219-1223. (IF: 0.804)
- Asma Naseer Cheema, Attya Bhatti, Jabar Ali, John Peter. Association of Non-Genetic Risk Factors with Coronary Artery Disease in Pakistani Population Ann. Pak. Inst. Med. Sci. 2016
- Zia, A., Bhatti, A., Jalil, F., Wang, X., John, P., Kiani, A. K., ... & Kamboh, M. I. (2016). Prevalence of type 2 diabetes–associated complications in Pakistan. International Journal of Diabetes in Developing Countries, 36(2), 179-188.
- Tayyaba Sadaf, Peter John, Attya Bhatti, Sidrah Jahangir, Aysha K. Kiani, Farah A. Gill and Javed M.Malik Lack of tumor necrosis factor alpha gene polymorphism -857c/t (rs1799724) association in Pakistani rheumatoid arthritis patients (April 2016). International journal of rheumatic diseases, 19(11), 1119-1125.
- Qadir, M. M., Bhatti, A., Khurshid, R., Ashraf, M. U., Anjum, S., & John, P. (2016). Polymorphisms in DNA repair genes XRCC1 and OGG1 lead to the progression of rheumatoid arthritis in Pakistani patients. Pakistan J Pharm Sci, 29(4), 1189-1195.
- Mahmood, S., Bhatti, A., Syed, N. A., & John, P. (2016). The microRNA regulatory network: a far-reaching approach to the regulate the Wnt signaling pathway in number of diseases. Journal of Receptors and Signal Transduction, 36(3), 310-318.
- Jalil, S. F., Arshad, M., Bhatti, A., Ahmad, J., Akbar, F., Ali, S., & John, P. (2016). Rheumatoid arthritis: what have we learned about the causing factors?. Pakistan journal of pharmaceutical sciences, 29(2).
- Ahmed, I., Buchert, R., Zhou, M., Jiao, X., Mittal, K., Sheikh, T. I., ... & Mikhailov, A. (February 2015). Mutations in DCPS and EDC3 in autosomal recessive intellectual disability indicate a crucial role for mRNA decapping in neurodevelopment. Human molecular genetics, 24(11), 3172-3180.
- Kiani, A. K., John, P., Bhatti, A., Zia, A., Shahid, G., Akhtar, P., ... & Kamboh, M. I. (April 2015). Association of 32 type 1 diabetes risk loci in Pakistani patients. Diabetes research and clinical practice, 108(1), 137-142.
- Zia, A., Bhatti, A., John, P., & Kiani, A. K. (January 2015). Data interpretation: deciphering the biological function of Type 2 diabetes associated risk loci. Acta diabetologica, 52(4), 789-800.
- Cheema, A. N., Bhatti, A., Wang, X., Ali, J., Bamne, M. N., Demirci, F. Y., & Kamboh, M. I. (March 2015). APOE gene polymorphism and risk of coronary stenosis in Pakistani population. BioMed research international, 2015.
- Ahmed, I., Rafiq, M. A., Vincent, J. B., Bhatti, A., Ayub, M., & John, P. (December 2014). Homozygosity mapping of autosomal recessive intellectual disability loci in 11 consanguineous Pakistani families. Acta neuropsychiatrica, 27(1), 38-47.
- Kiani, A. K., Jahngir, S., John, P., Bhatti, A., Zia, A., Wang, X., ... & Kamboh, M. I. (April 2015). Genetic link of type 1 diabetes susceptibility loci with rheumatoid arthritis in Pakistani patients. Immunogenetics, 67(5-6), 277-282.
- Ullah, M. I., Ahmad, A., Raza, S. I., Amar, A., Ali, A., Bhatti, A., ... & Hassan, M. J. (July 2015). In silico analysis of SIGMAR1 variant (rs4879809) segregating in a consanguineous Pakistani family showing amyotrophic lateral sclerosis without frontotemporal lobar dementia. Neurogenetics, 16(4), 299-306.
- Zia, A., Wang, X., Bhatti, A., Demirci, F. Y., Zhao, W., Rasheed, A., ... & John, P. (October 2015). A replication study of 49 Type 2 diabetes risk variants in a Punjabi Pakistani population. Diabetic Medicine, 33(8), 1112-1117.
- John, P., Bhatti, A., Iqbal, T., Sadaf, T., & Malik, J. M. (Dec 2017). Case-control study of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphism in Pakistani rheumatoid arthritis patients. Revista brasileira de reumatologia, 57(6), 633-636.
- Qadir, M. M. F., Bhatti, A., Sandhu, M. A., Usman, M., Ashraf, S. A., & John, P. (2015). Feeding of organic plant extracts to animals during vivisection, extract dosage feeding formula (exdff): a novel technique.
- Ahmed, I., Mittal, K., Sheikh, T. I., Vasli, N., Rafiq, M. A., Mikhailov, A., ... & Ayub, M. (2014). Identification of a homozygous splice site mutation in the dynein axonemal light chain 4 gene on 22q13. 1 in a large consanguineous family from Pakistan with congenital mirror movement disorder. Human genetics, 133(11), 1419-1429.
- Ullah, S., John, P., & Bhatti, A. (2014). MicroRNAs with a role in gene regulation and in human diseases. Molecular biology reports, 41(1), 225-232.
- Qadir, M. M. F., Bhatti, A., Anjum, S., Ashraf, M. U., & John, P. (2014). The physiological and pathophysiological role of epinephrine and nor-epinephrine in Alzheimer’s disease: a short communication. International Journal of Research, 1(5), 722-732.
- Jalil, S. F., Ahmed, I., Gauhar, Z., Ahmed, M., Malik, J. M., John, P., & Bhatti, A. (2014). Association of Pro12Ala (rs1801282) variant of PPAR gamma with Rheumatoid Arthritis in a Pakistani population. Rheumatology international, 34(5), 699-703.
- Waheed, Y., Bhatti, A., Anjum, S., & Ashraf, M. (2014). Sequence comparison and phylogenetic analysis of Hepatitis C virus genotype 3 polymerase. Molecular medicine reports, 9(4), 1266-1270.
- Moeez, S., Iqbal, T., John, P., & Bhatti, A. (2013). EVIDENCE OF ANGIOTENSIN CONVERTING ENZYME (ACE) INSERTION POLYMORPHISM IN RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS FROM PAKISTANI PATIENTS. International Journal of Molecular Biology, 4(1), 87.
- Kiani, A. K., Jahangir, S., John, P., Bhatti, A., Moeez, S., Ashraf, M., ... & Iqbal, T. (2013). A study of interleukin-15 (IL 15) gene polymorphisms in Pakistani patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). International Journal of Genetics, 5(2), 139.
- Altaf, M., Waqar, A., John, P., Sadia, H., Iqbal, T., & Bhatti, A. (2013). miRNA databases: an investigation of regulatory RNAs informatics. Int J Sci Eng Res, 4, 517-520.
- Jalil, S. F., Bhatti, A., Demirci, F. Y., Wang, X., Ahmed, I., Ahmed, M., ... & Kamboh, M. I. (2013). Replication of european rheumatoid arthritis loci in a Pakistani population. The Journal of rheumatology, jrheum-121050.
- Kanwal, N., John, P., & Bhatti, A. (2013). MicroRNA-155 as a therapeutic target for inflammatory diseases. Rheumatology international, 33(3), 557-560.
- Moeez, S., John, P., & Bhatti, A. (2013). Anti-citrullinated protein antibodies: role in pathogenesis of RA and potential as a diagnostic tool. Rheumatology international, 33(7), 1669-1673.
- Waheed, Y., Bhatti, A., & Ashraf, M. (2013). RNA dependent RNA polymerase of HCV: a potential target for the development of antiviral drugs. Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 14, 247-257.
- Bhatti, A., John, P., Sadia, H., Ahmed, I., Qadri, I., Jalil, F., ... & Ahmed, M. (2011). Mapping of genes involved in rheumatoid arthritis in Pakistani patients. Current Opinion in Biotechnology, (22), S41-S42.
- Raza, M. I., Sadia, H., Mansoor, S., Bhatti, A., Anwar, M. A., John, P., ... & Qadri, I. (2011). Molecular modeling and mutational analysis of macrophage colony stimulating factor. Current Opinion in Biotechnology, (22), S60.
- Chishti, M. S., Bhatti, A., Tamim, S., Lee, K., McDonald, M. L., Leal, S. M., & Ahmad, W. (2008). Splice-site mutations in the TRIC gene underlie autosomal recessive nonsyndromic hearing impairment in Pakistani families. Journal of human genetics, 53(2), 101-105.
- Bhatti, A., Lee, K., McDonald, M. L., Hassan, M. J., Gutala, R., Ansar, M., ... & Leal, S. M. (2008). Mapping of a new autosomal recessive non‐syndromic hearing impairment locus (DFNB45) to chromosome 1q43‐q44. Clinical genetics, 73(4), 395-398.
- Santos, R. L. P., El-Shanti, H., Sikandar, S., Lee, K., Bhatti, A., Yan, K., ... & Ahmad, W. (2006). Novel sequence variants in the TMIE gene in families with autosomal recessive nonsyndromic hearing impairment. Journal of molecular medicine, 84(3), 226-231.
- Santos, R. L. P., Wajid, M., Khan, M. N., McArthur, N., Pham, T. L., Bhatti, A., ... & Chahrour, M. H. (2005). Novel sequence variants in the TMC1 gene in Pakistani families with autosomal recessive hearing impairment. Human mutation, 26(4), 396-396.
- Study of Adiponectin gene polymorphism in Type 2 diabetes and coronary artery disease patients: Sabahat Hamid, Attya Bhatti
- Pharmacogenomics of type 2 diabetes mellitus a step toward personalized medicinne: Asima Zia, Attya Bhatti, Peter John, Aysha Karim Kiani
- RANKL signaling pathway: A potential target for antiresorptive therapy in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Sidrah Anjum, Attya Bhatti, Mirza Muhammad Fahd Qadir, Usman Ashraf, Peter John
- Signalling Pathways Involved In Rheumatoid Arthritis: Targets for New Therapeutic Interventions; Abdul Haseeb Khan, Attya Bhatti, Shahid Mahmood, Anum
1. Molecular Genetics (Post graduate)
2. Genomics & Proteomics (Post graduate)
3. Molecular Medicine (Post graduate)
4. Biotechnology (Under graduate)
5. Genomics (Undergraduate)
6. Human health and Diseases (Post graduate)
7. Biosafety and Bioethics of Biotechnology (Post graduate)
STUDENR SUPERVISION: (2008-2019)
Completed: BS: 11 MS: 26 PhD: 06 Total: 43
Under Progress: MS: 04 PhD: 05 Total: 09