Dr. Nasar completed his
PhD under the Supervision of Prof Fengming Song from the Institute of
Biotechnology of Zhejiang University Hangzhou, China in the year 2011. After
completion of his PhD, he joined ASAB, NUST. He
is currently serving as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Plant Biotechnology
- His research work is
mainly related to Plant immunity against different stress factors such as
Plant-fungal, Plant-Bacterial and Plant Abiotic stress interactions including
salt, drought and oxidative stress. The genes under study were Mitogen
Activated Protein Kinases (MAPK), which are well known for their cross-kingdom
conserved role in cell signaling against different stimuli. So, after a
preliminary screening, they came up with two MAPKs in tomato and Arabidopsis,
SlMPK4 and SlMPK6. Their functional analysis revealed different roles in plant
defense mechanisms (Virk et al, 2013).
- His research work on a Raf-like triple Kinase
in Arabidopsis against oxidative stress is awaited to be published. He was able
to discover novel functions of Arabidopsis raf43 by adopting various functional
- His research group at
ASAB is mainly interested in Plant interaction with other stress factors
especially Nanoparticle induced oxidative stress. One of their research
projects has discovered Glutathione S Transferase (GST) and Superoxide
dismutase (SOD) transcript induction against Titania and Zinc Oxide
Nanoparticles. Currently a detailed analysis of GST and SOD family in Lettuce
against different commercially available Nanoparticles is being cionducted by them.His research group is also
identifying novel Calcium ATPases in Wheat and their future plans are to study
their role extensively against stress responses. This is a joint collaborative
research project between Prof. Lorraine E. Williams’ lab in Southampton
University and our lab in ASAB.
- Nasar Virk, Bo Liu, Huizhuan Zhang, Xiaohui Li, Yafen Zhang, Dayong Li and Fengming Song (2013) Tomato SlMPK4 is required for resistance against Botrytis cinerea and tolerance to drought stress. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 35: 1211-1221
- Cheng X, Virk N, Chen W, Ji S, Ji S, et al. (2013) CpG Usage in RNA Viruses: Data and Hypotheses. PLoS ONE 8(9): e74109. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.007410
- B.M. Vindhya S. Basnayake , Dayong Li, Huijuan Zhang, Guojun Li, Nasar Virk, Fengming Song (2011) Arabidopsis DAL1 and DAL2, two RING ﬁnger proteins homologous to Drosophila DIAP1, are involved in regulation of programmed cell death. Plant Cell Reports 30: 37-48
- Guojun Li, Virk Nasar, Yuxia Yang, Keke Mao, Bo Liu, Lijun Sun, Dayong Li, Fengming Song (2010) Arabidopsis poly(ADP-ribose) glycohydrolase 1 is required for drought, osmotic and oxidative stress responses. Plant Science, 180: 283-291
- Xiao'e Wang, B. M. Vindhya S. Basnayake, Huijuan Zhang, Guojun Li, Wei Li, Nasar Virk, Tesfaye Mengiste, Fengming Song (2009) The Arabidopsis ATAF1, a NAC Transcription Factor, Is a Negative Regulator of Defense Responses Against Necrotrophic Fungal and Bacterial Pathogens. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 22: 1227-1238
- Xiaofei Cheng, Nasar Virk, Xiaoxia Wu, Wei Chen and Xiaoyun Wu (2013). More Intelligent Than We Thought: Both Initiative and Passive Adaptations in Bunyaviruses to Their Hosts. Manuscript under preparation
- Nasar Virk and Fengming Song (2013) Functional analysis of an Arabidopsis Raf-like Mitogen Activated Protein Kinase Kinase Kinase raf43 in plant defense. Manuscript under preparation
- Saba Safdar, Nasar Virk* (2013) Analysis of Reference Genes for Quantitative PCR against Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide Nanotoxicity in Wheat. Manuscript under preparation. *corresponding author
- 2013 International Workshop on Food Safety Assesment Technology and Food Safety Quility Control. June,23-July,12 2013. Guangzhou,P.R.China
- Functional characterization of different Mitogen Activated Protein Kinase genes in biotic and abiotic stress responses in tomato and Arabidopsis
- Nasar Virk, Fengming Song. Poster presented in “From Plant Biology to Crop Biotechnology” at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Asia Conferences, Oct. 24-29. 2010, Suzhou, China.
- Tomato MAPK gene SlMPK6 positively regulates defense responses against Botrytis cinerea
- Nasar Virk, Fengming Song. 7th Hangzhou International Symposium on Plant Pathology and Biotechnology, Oct. 22-25, 2009, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China.
- An Arabidopsis Group C Mitogen Activated Protein Kinase Kinase Kinase MEKK Plays a Distinct Role Against Biotic and Abiotic Stresses
- Nasar Virk, Fengming Song. Abstract published in Kyiv International Life Sciences Students' Conference, Ukraine, 2009.
- Participant in Frontiers of Plant Pathology, Aug, 14-19. 2010, Xiamen, China and Conference on Advances in Plant Pathology in China, Oct 26-29. 2009, Zhengzhou, China.
Dr. Nasar-um-Minallah is teaching following courses at ASAB:
- Plant Physiology: Fall Semester
- Plant Functional Genomics: Fall Semester
- Plant Immunology: Spring Semester
- Seminar: Spring Semester
Dr. Nasar-um-Minallah has worked for 2 years
with Allied Floriculture (Pvt)
Limited, a subsidiary of Allied Engineering and Services Limited for the
development of a large scale flower production facility. During his stay
at Allied, he along with his team has introduced production of
various exotic cut flowers including Lilium, Gladiolous, Iris, Tulip and marketed them successfully in Islamabad
and Lahore Flower markets.