Dr. Irfan Ahmad Rana
Department of Urban and Regional Planning
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
Room 120 NIT Building NUST H-12 Islamabad
Urban Planning, Disaster Risk Reduction, Climate Change Adaptation
PhD & MSc in Regional and Rural Development Planning, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand; BSc in City and Regional Planning, University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore
Dr. Rana is currently working as Assistant Professor in Department of Urban and Regional Planning (URP), National Institute of Transportation (NIT), NUST. Previously he has worked two years as Assistant Director (Town Planning) in Lahore Development Authority (LDA), Lahore.
Awards & Scholarships
HEC Doctoral Fellow under Overseas Scholarship Programme for MS leading PhD from Higher Education Commission (HEC)
- Member of Pakistan Council for Architects and Town Planners (PCATP)
- Member of Institute of Planners Pakistan (IPP)
Links to Indexing Services:
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.pk/citations?user=0PzxjtEAAAAJ&hl=en
- Scopus: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=56880023300&eid=2-s2.0-84991736536
- OrcID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-3157-1186
Dr. Rana is interested in urban and regional development issues, with cross-cutting dimensions of disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation.
- Disaster Risk Reduction
- Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation
- GIS Applications in Spatial Development
- Regional Inequalities and Development Planning
- Building Control and Sustainable Urban Development
- Urban Governance and Community Development
- Disaster Risk Reduction: Natural Hazards
- Disaster Risk Assessment, Risk Perception and Vulnerability Studies
- Climate Compatible and Disaster Resilient Development
- GIS and Remote Sensing Applications for Sustainable Urban Development
- Urban Governance and Participatory Development
- Smart and Healthy Cities
- Transport Geography
Journal Publications (Peer Reviewed)
- Jamshed A., Rana I.A., Mirza, U.M., Birkmann, J. (2019). Assessing relationship between vulnerability and capacity: An empirical study on rural flooding in Pakistan. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. March (2019). Available Online. In Press. Elsevier. ISSN 2212-4209. doi: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2019.101109
- Rana I.A. and Routray J.K. (2018). Multi-dimensional model for vulnerability assessment of urban flooding: An empirical study in Pakistan. International Journal of Disaster Risk Science. Springer-Nature. 1-13. 359-375. ISSN (Online) 2192-6395. ISSN (Print) 2095-0055 doi: 10.1007/s13753-018-0179-4
- Saqib, S.E., Kuwornu, J.K., Ali, U., Panezai, S., Rana, I.A. (2018). Price risk management using forward contracts: the case of farmers in Pakistan. International Journal of Value Chain Management. Inderscience. 9(3). 241-256. ISSN (Online) 1741-5365. ISSN (Print) 1741-5357 doi:10.1504/IJVCM.2018.10015076
- Rana, I.A. and Bhatti, S.S. (2018). Lahore, Pakistan – Urbanization challenges and opportunities. Cities. Vol. 72. Part B. 348-355. Elsevier. ISSN 0264-2751. doi:10.1016/j.cities.2017.09.014.
- Rana, I.A. and Routray, J.K. (2018). Integrated methodology for flood risk assessment and application in urban communities of Pakistan. Natural Hazards. Springer. ISSN 0921-030X (Print) 1573-0840 (Online). doi:/10.1007/s11069-017-3124-8.
- Jamshed A., Rana I.A., Khan, M., Agarwal, N., Ahsan A., Ostwal, M. (2017). Community participation framework for post-disaster resettlement and its practical application in Pakistan. Disaster Prevention and Management. 27(5). 604-622. Emerald. ISSN: 0965-3562. doi: 10.1108/DPM-05-2018-0161
- Jamshed A., Rana, I.A. Birkmann, J. and Nadeem, O. (2017). Changes in vulnerability and response capacities of rural communities after extreme events: Case of major floods of 2010 and 2014 in Pakistan. Journal of Extreme Events. Vol 4. Issue 03. 1-29 ISSN: 2345-7376 (Print) 2382-6339 (Online). doi: 10.1142/S2345737617500130
- Rana, I.A., Bhatti S.S., and Arshad H.S.H. (2017). Assessing the socioeconomic and infrastructure development disparity – a case study of city districts of Punjab, Pakistan. International Journal of Urban Sustainable Development. Taylor and Francis. 9(3). 1-13. ISSN: 1946-3138 (Print) 1946-3146 (Online). doi:10.1080/19463138.2017.1320286.
- Rana, I.A., Bhatti, S.S., and E Saqib, S. (2017). The spatial and temporal dynamics of infrastructure development disparity – from assessment to analyses. Cities. Elsevier. 63.20-32. ISSN 0264-2751. doi: 10.1016/j.cities.2016.12.020.
- Rana, I. A. and Routray J.K., (2016). Actual vis-à-vis perceived risk in flood prone urban communities of Pakistan. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. Elsevier. 19. 366-378. ISSN 2212-4209. doi: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2016.08.028.
- E Saqib, S., Ahmad, M.M., Panezai, S., and Rana, I.A. (2016). An empirical assessment of farmers’ risk attitudes in flood-prone areas of Pakistan. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction Elsevier. 18 107-114. ISSN 2212-4209. doi:10.1016/j.ijdrr.2016.06.007.
- Bhatti, S.S., Tripathi, N.K., Nitivattananon, V., Rana, I.A. and Mozumder, C., (2015). A multi-scale modeling approach for simulating urbanization in a metropolitan region. Habitat International. Elsevier. 50. 354-365. ISSN 0197-3975. doi:10.1016/j.habitatint.2015.09.005.
Conference Papers (Peer Reviewed)
- Jamshed A. and Rana. I.A. (2018). Assessing the role of post-disaster resettlement in building resilience: Case Study of the 2010 floods in Pakistan. 8th International Conference on Building Resilience. 7-9 November, 2018. Lisbon. Portugal.
- Rana, I.A. and Jamshed A. (2018). Multidimensional approach for assessing urban resilience against flooding: A case study of Pakistan. 8th International Conference on Building Resilience. 7-9 November, 2018. Lisbon. Portugal.
- Rana, I.A. (2017). Socioeconomic vulnerability assessment: A case study of flood prone urban communities of Pakistan. International Expert Forum- Mainstreaming Resilience and Disaster Risk Reduction in Education, 1-2 Dec, 2017. Asian Institute of Technology, Khlong Luang, Thailand.
- Rana, I.A. and Routray, J.K. (2016). Risk Assessment of Flood Prone Urban Areas of Pakistan. The 1st International Conference on Disaster Management: From the Polar Regions to the Local Communities” on 30th March, 2016. National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA), Bangkok, Thailand.
- Rana, I.A. and Yaseen M. (2014). Infrastructural Development Disparity in City Districts of Punjab Province. International Conference of Town Planning and Urban Management on 29-30 September, 2014. City and Regional Planning Department, University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan.
Dutta, R., Basnayake, S., Rahman, A., Tawhid, K.G., Gyawali, Y. and Rana, I.A. (2015). A South Asia Study on Collaborative Action towards Societal Challenges through Awareness, Development and Education (CASCADE). Project Report, Climate Change and Climate Risk Management Department, Asian Disaster Preparedness Center. Published on 08th August, 2015.
Sep 2017 – Present: Assistant Professor at NIT:
- Comparative Urban Planning
- Urban and Regional Transportation Systems
- Disaster Management
Served 2 years as
Assistant Director, Lahore Development Authority. Dr. Rana has worked with
international development agencies in Pakistan and Thailand.