Manufacturing Resource center (MRC) has been established in School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Sector H-12 Campus, Islamabad and functional since December 2011. The center has already acquired and made operative a full range of basic manufacturing technologies. The induction of advance state of the art technologies will be undertaken in next phase. The center now has capability to train and educate more than 500 UG students for their workshop technology courses annually. MRC is providing support to all
engineering schools/College/Institutions/Departments who have Manufacturing or Workshop Practice courses in their curriculum.
Besides education, MRC also plays a vital role of backbone for manufacturing of parts and products in NUST. It not only provides support to students for their projects and tasks both at Under and Post Graduate level, it also has provided support to local industry by accepting their manufacturing requirements. Many projects are in the pipe line.
In the center, a Design office and a Reference facility is also being created to have a complete capability for product or part manufacturing, starting from design and ending up as a product. It also includes preparation of complete documentation like Manufacturing drawings, Process sequence, Catalogues, Schematics, Manuals etc. An undocumented parts can also be reverse engineered at this center as soon as the Reference Lab and Design office are set up. In near future, Heat Treatment and Tool Room facility will also be established to provide deeper support for comprehensive manufacturing endeavor. MRC has a highly trained and dedicated technical staff and draftsman to train students, demonstrate work. They also work on the projects those come to MRC.
- To provide high quality technical training services to Engineering students.
- MRC has been envisioned to ultimately set a model for Industry in manufacturing techniques and methods both in terms of knowledge and practice.
- Provisioning of a hands on technical training for engineering students of NUST.
- Provisioning of consultancy services to the local industry comprising of (but not limited to) the following:
- Development of Prototypes (Engineering parts – small to medium size).
- Improvement in productivity of an Engineering concern through shop floor re-layout, product of process, quality improvement. Cycle time reduction / throughout enhancement, optimal asset utilization, reduction in operating expenses, reduced inventory and improved participation, communication and collaboration between all participants stake holders.
The scope of MRC has been defined as follows:
- To impart education and training to students at UG level for their workshop practices and manufacturing skills.
- To support and facilitate students and departmental projects in terms of manufacturing.
- To undertake Industrial projects to build prototypes of parts and mechanical systems.
- To undertake limited manufacturing of parts or systems on commercial scale.
- To utilize the facilities and staff of MRC for community development through Vocational Training Skill Development Courses.
Aerial view of Manufacturing Resource Center (MRC)