to ensure the continuity of the programme, it is vital to ensure that
there are no violations of the license agreements that have been
completed by participating institutions and publishers. Publishers are constantly
monitoring the use of their databases, and illegal activities can be
easily detected. The National University of Sciences and Technology
administration has signed an Institutional Agreement with the HEC,
confirming their compliance with the Terms and Conditions of license
The document below details the general terms and
conditions for use of the digital library resources. Please read it
carefully before using the e-resources.
document is to be read by all researchers, librarians and others
registering for resources within the Digital Library/ PERI programme in
Pakistan. It describes the general terms and conditions by which the
information resources available in the programme may be used.
document does not replace any part of the legal documentation supplied by
participating publishers whose individual licenses must be read and
agreed to either in writing or online.
- A representative of each participating institute ( Head Librarian, Serials, Systems or other Librarian, Senior Researcher etc.) must register that institute for access to the information resources available through the Digital Library.
- Each institute need only register for each resource once.
- During registration, the representative must read and agree to the license terms and conditions of each publisher participating within the Digital Library.
- Where licenses are required to be printed off and returned to the publisher, the representative of each participating institute must comply with this requirement before access for the institute commences.
- Where license documents can be viewed and accepted online, the representative of each participating institute must comply with this requirement before access for the institute commences.
- Copyright must be respected at all times by all users of the information resources.
- Participating institutes and their members must not make printed copies of any of the materials within the Digital Library unless this is within the terms and conditions expressly permissible within the publisher license. Single printed copies of individual resources (e.g. articles) are within the bounds of all the licenses but they must only be for individual use.
- Participating institutes and their members may not make any kind of material, financial or other gain from any article, item or other piece of content from the Digital Library/ PERI information resources. No resources or part of the resources may be sold, exchanged or otherwise traded. For example, use of the electronic resources must not be based on any kind of charging system, apart from any nominal computer access administrative charges.
- Participating institutes and their members may not make ANY copies of CD-ROMs, DVDs or other disks provided as part of the PERI initiative.
- Participating institutes and their members may not lend copies of CD-ROMs, DVDs or other disks provided as part of the PERI initiative unless they have specific written permission from the publisher concerned.
The senior manager or administrative officer (e.g. Vice Chancellor) and Head Librarians of each institution participating within PERI, will be held responsible by the Higher Education Commission for any breaches in the above terms and conditions. Serious breaches of these and/or the publishers’ license terms could result in the permanent loss of access to all electronic information resources available from the Digital Library/ PERI programme, and formal action from the Higher Education Commission