FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
Q. How many types of financial aid are offered?
- There are three types of financial aid offered by NUST:
- Need based scholarships.
- Merit based scholarships / financial assistance.
- Interest free loans.
Q. When and How to Apply for Financial Aid?
- Under Graduate (UG) & Masters (MS) candidates apply for financial aid immediately after submitting online admission application.
- To apply candidates are required to submit online NUST need Based Financial Aid Application Form (NFAAF).
- Due date for submitting NFAAF is the same as that of the online admission application. Due date for MS & UG is tentatively May & June 2022 respectively. Please visit NUST admission portal for exact dates.
- Financial Aid Applications will not be accepted separately after due date.
Q. Who can apply for financial aid?
- All UG & Masters candidate(s) are eligible to apply for financial aid at the time of admission.
Q. Does applying for financial aid have any effect on admission application?
I have completed my admission application but I have not filled / partially filled the financial aid application and I am not interested to apply for financial aid. Will leaving the financial aid form unfilled / partially filled, effect my admission application?
- No, financial aid application has no effect on admission decision.
Q. What is meant by physical verification?
- NUST team may visit your house, business premises or carry out inquiry from the surrounding neighbors to physically verify facts stated by you while applying for financial aid. Physical Verification may be carried out at any point of time during academic life cycle at NUST.
Q. I have submitted NFAAF and attached soft copies of supporting documents too, do I need to send hard copies of supporting documents? If yes, When?
- You do not need to send supporting documents to FAO immediately after submitting NFAAF.
- After due processing, FAO will inform you via email to mail the documents in hard form, within a due date. Failure to provide documents within due date will lead to cancellation of NFAAF.
Q. I want to apply for other need based scholarships like PEEF, CMEEF KPK, FEF etc. Do I need to submit another application form?
- Upon submitting NFAAF, you will be considered for all types of need based scholarships. FAO will inform you incase any additional form / document is required.
Q. I do not have few of the supporting documents. What should i do?
I need more time to arrange the supporting documents. Please allow me to submit NFAAF and provide supporting documents in a few more working days.
- You may attach scan copy of a hand written letter of explanation (duly signed by you and your parent / guardian).
- Briefly explain reason of not attaching the supporting document and expected date till you will provide the same to Financial Aid Office.
Q. I am trying to upload soft copy of the supporting documents but the system is not saving them. What should i do?
- File size of each of the supporting document should be less than 250 kb. Resize the scan copy of supporting document and try uploading the same.
- If problem persists, you may forward a screen shot of the error to [email protected] OR [email protected].
Q. I have been offered admission in two or more disciplines and have NOT been offered scholarship in ALL of these disciplines. Is this provisional scholarship offer valid for only specific disciplines?
- Scholarship offered is valid for ALL disciplines offered admission in a particular selection list e.g if you secure admission in BS Physics, Chemistry & Maths in the 1st selection list, provisional admission letters will have the same scholarship offer.
- If you have NOT been offered scholarship in any of the disciplines, please write to us at [email protected].
Q. I have secured admission (for example in BS Civil Engineering in 1st selection list) and have been offered need based scholarship. Will this scholarship be transferred to other discipline(s) I am offered admission in subsequent selection list(s). How will the scholarship be transferred to other disciplines? What happens to the scholarship offer if I don’t pay dues now and wait for securing admission in subsequent lists?
- Scholarship is awarded on merit cum need basis i.e on the basis of a candidates’ position on the financial need scale in a particular selection list.
- Scholarship once offered to you may be transferred to ALL other offered disciplines, only if you have already deposited dues to secure admission / scholarship i.e for BS Civil Engineering in 1st selection list in the example above. To transfer scholarship offer to other disciplines, you will be required to give willingness to admission office ([email protected] , [email protected]).
- Scholarship offered to you- for BS Civil Engg in the example above- will be cancelled incase you do not deposit dues, and vacant slot will be offered in the subsequent selection list on merit cum need basis.
Q. My Financial Profile Has Changed After Submission Of NFAAF. How Can I Make Changes In NFAAF After Submission? OR I Have Made Mistakes In The NFAAF. I Cannot Access It After Submission. How Can I Get It Corrected?
- You will be required to inform FAO via email ([email protected]) specifically mentioning the following:
- Section of NFAAF.
- Sub section of NFAAF.
- Title of the Field(s) to be amended.
- Amended Values.
- If necessary, someone from the FAO may contact you on contact numbers (provided in the NFAAF) to acquire additional information from you / family members.
Q. What Happens If My Parents Are Divorced, Separated And One Parent Is Unwilling To Submit Any Information To The Financial Aid Office Or To Contribute Towards My NUST Expenses?
- In fairness to all, NUST expects that parents will pay what they can, and we must assess each parent’s ability to contribute to college costs by reviewing complete financial documents from both parents.
- You might explain to the parent, unwilling to submit financial information, that his or her information will remain confidential. Your parent should also know that providing such information no way obligates him or her to contribute to your NUST education.
- If you believe your situation is special, please write us a detailed letter of explanation.
Q. May I Send The Deed Of Agreement In The Same Envelope In Which I Am Sending Admission Documents?
- Deed of agreement is to be forwarded to Financial Aid Office separately.
Q. What Is The Need Assessment Process?
- The decision and its review follow the stages outlined below:
- The staff at the financial aid office (FAO) checks and reconciles the information on the financial aid form against the documents provided including their tenor and validity; seeking clarifications from the applicant/ student on anomalies, if any.
- Applicants are contacted for retrieval of discrepant documents (where necessary).
- FAO prepares student evaluation sheets that contain a brief summary of the credentials provided covering all the aspects to be presented to the financial aid committee for final decision.
- Shortlisted Candidates are informed to submit supporting documentation in hard form by the deadline specified by the financial aid office.
- Interviews / Physical Verifications are conducted where recommended by the committee.
- The NUST financial aid committee assesses each case through the evaluation sheet and reviews supporting documents before making their decision which is purely based on need.
- Decision is communicated to the students through an official provisional scholarship award letter.
- The Financial Aid Office reserves the right to conduct periodic reviews to ensure the award is granted to the needy students only.
Q. My Father / Guardian / Earning Member Of The Family Does Not Have A Job. What Type Of Income Certificate Should I Give?
- Father / Guardian / Earning Member(s) of the Family will give a Declaration of monthly income from all sources on affidavit to be printed on stamp paper having value > Rs.100, duly attested by Union Councilor & two witnesses. At least one of the witnesses is to be a Govt. officer of BPS 17 or above & the other a close family member well acquainted with your family financial profile. Contact numbers of the witnesses to be mentioned on the affidavit.
Q. My Father / Guardian Does Business. What Type Of Income Certificate Should I Give?
- Father / Guardian / Earning Member(s) of the Family will give a Declaration of monthly income from all sources (business) on affidavit to be printed on stamp paper having value > Rs.100, duly attested by Union Councilor & two witnesses. At least one of the witnesses is to be a Govt. officer of BPS 17 or above & the other a close family member well acquainted with your family financial profile. Contact numbers of the witnesses to be mentioned on the affidavit.
Q. My Father / Guardian Does Job And Has A Part Time Business (Agriculture, Taxi, Tuition, Shop Etc). What Type Of Income Certificate Should I Give?
- Father / Guardian / Earning Member(s) of the Family will give salary certificate and a Declaration of monthly income from all sources (job & Business) on affidavit to be printed on stamp paper having value > Rs.100, duly attested by Union Councilor & two witnesses. At least one of the witnesses is to be a Govt. officer of BPS 17 or above & the other a close family member well acquainted with your family financial profile. Contact numbers of the witnesses to be mentioned on the affidavit.
Q. Our Monthly Income Is From Agricultural Lands. What Type Of Income Certificate Should I Give?
- Father / guardian will a Declaration of monthly income from all sources on affidavit to be printed on stamp paper having value > Rs.100, duly attested by Assistant Commissioner Revenue / Union Councilor & two witnesses. At least one of the witnesses is to be a Govt. officer of BPS 17 or above & the other a close family member well acquainted with your family financial profile. Contact numbers of the witnesses to be mentioned on the affidavit.
Q. I Was Awarded A Scholarship From A Private Outside Organization. Do I Need To Inform Financial Aid Office?
- Yes, if you receive an outside grant or scholarship or a third-party payment you must report the type and amount to the FAO as and when received.
Q. Can I Apply FOr The Financial Aid During The Semester/Year?
- Only those students, whose financial situation changes drastically, due to unforeseen circumstances e.g. Retirement, death, layoffs from job etc. can apply for financial assistance during the semester/ year through their institutions.
Q. What Is The Criteria Of Awarding Financial Aid?
- The scholarship management committee assesses financial need of all candidates and determines whether or not candidates family has sufficient resources to afford fee at NUST. The need is determined on the basis of the financial credentials submitted by the candidate.
Q. Can a student appeal for review of the financial assistance decision?
- There is an appeal process in place in which the NUST administration accepts requests from students who have additional information to declare, which may have been missed during the initial assessment.